Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hidden Blessings

We will be schooling through the summer this year.  I have done this in the past, when I felt we were behind, but I have several reasons to do so this year. First, we are behind.  :-)  The time we took earlier this year to get moved into the lodge rendered us off my schedule to make our year end goals.  Secondly, the children often get bored in those hot summer afternoons, and I have found that having school time then settles them to enjoy their play more.  Third, I have some things I would like to do with the children, that I never get done during our regular school year.  Last, keeping a routine in the house helps all of us function better, otherwise, chaos gets the upper hand.  Having just attended the Christian Heritage Home Educators Conference with speaker Kevin Swanson, Brian and I were inspired to purchase the book "Proverbs, Family Bible Study Series," by K Swanson.  The Speaker claims that his family uses this book as their core curriculum.  I was intrigued.  I took some time this afternoon to peruse the book.  It was not what I expected, but I am still inspired to use this as our core for the summer.  The book is more simple than I expected, and it is just what it says it is , a study guide. I contemplated how this could be a core when my younger students need vocabulary, spelling and writing skills.  So, this is what I am going to do:  I will buy each student a notebook to be used just for Proverbs.  As we follow the lessons in the book, we will copy the verses in our notebooks,(penmanship) write out the definition for each unknown word (vocabulary), using the vocab words for spelling practice, and memorize scripture as we go. I am excited because it is something we can all do together, regardless of age, and seems like it will be ridiculously simple to accomplish.  Combined with completing our math books and the never-ending reading list, we should have less than 2 hrs a day, but be continuing to learn steadily.  If I am really on the ball, we may do some music too, it has been on my wish list for years.  The Proverbs book is available through "Generations with Vision," Kevin Swanson's web page.
I am hopeful that the hidden blessing will be that our children will excel in spelling and vocabulary more than with our texts, because we are trusting the Bible to be our core curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...