Monday, September 27, 2010

Keeping Priorities, Part 1

Several years ago I was teaching a ladies Bible Study 
on The Excellent Wife to a small group in our church. 
The idea of being a Help Meet was a new concept,
and we explored what that may look like. 
From the very beginning in Genesis,
God himself defines a woman’s role as being
a helper suitable for he husband.
 Stop. 
Think that one through.

When I awake each morning is that one of the first thoughts that goes though my head?
  Next to being a child of God,
this is the second Biblical priority in a wife’s life.
  Helping and serving my husband should be
the second most important 
thought throughout my day.
 

  I am sure I can think of several ways to help my husband on my own, but, since he is the God given spiritual head and leader,
shouldn’t I ask him what would be a help?
We sat down for a nice chat, where I asked him some very pointed questions, and he was pleased as punch to answer. 
This marked a dramatic change in our relationship.
  After several years of marriage, I was for the first time, 
sincerely wanting to  do what I could 
to enable him to be the man God wants him, called him, to be,
instead of looking for him to fulfill me, 
I set out to do him good all the days of my life, 
by putting him in the proper place of honor, 
preferring him above myself,
prioritizing where he was going and purposing to follow and be a help.

Questions I asked:
1.  Please share with me your Purpose in this life.
2.  What do you believe your calling to be?
3.  How can I be a help to you in this calling?
4.What are 2 particular goals in your life?
5.  What can I do to help you attain those goals?

I still have the sheet of paper with the questions and his answers in my Bible today, years later. 
  My role was defined clearly,
and I could check the paper occasionally
to make sure I was keeping on track. 

I would have liked to marry a rancher,
raise horses and live way back on a huge amount of land. 
I could have pursued architecture school and had a great career,
for that was where I was headed. 
But, every day I am thankful that the Lord led me to my husband,
that he gifted me to be just right for him,
and has given me great joy in following and being his helpmeet. 
I do not regret “giving up” my hopes, dreams, and aspirations for life.
 God’s plan is much better. 
It always is, so much more than we could ask or think. 
Because he loves us so, he has our BEST interests in mind,
His plan that will draw us closest to him,
give us the greatest joy and contentment on this earthly journey.
  I am SO grateful I did not willfully set about my own plans. 
I cannot imagine what wonderful blessings I would have missed,
what miseries I would be facing even now,
if I had clung to my way. 
God’s path is best, the safest, most secure, successful road to travel.
  He promises to walk it with me every step of the way, 
and he promises that his ways lead to peace. 
To give up my agenda to follow my husband, 
was nothing short of an  honored privilege.
  I have not lost who I am in the process, contrarily, 
I wouldn’t be “me” without my dear sweet husband.  
I have found my true calling,
the One who made me just for this specific task
has also perfectly gifted me for it,
in so, I am only now living up to my potential,
and enjoying every minute of it.


That they may teach the young women to  be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children.”
Titus 2: 4
Likewise, you wives, be in submission to you own husbands.” 1 Peter 3:1
The heart of he husband does safely trust in her so that he shall have no need of spoil.”  Prov. 31:11

And the Lord God said, it is not good that a man should be alone, I will make a help meet for him.” Gen 2:18

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful encouragement and reminder, it was much needed today!

    Blessings,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...