Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Candle for the Angels

 This fourth Sunday of advent we light the candle of the angels.

Our little blonde girlie was an angel in the 
Christmas play this morning, the young brothers were the wise men and King Herod. 
 It was fabuously amusing with a solid gospel message.
Unfortuantley, the camera battery went dead right as it all began,
so the memories will remain in our hearts as one of the best plays ever.

It all got me to thinking about angels, 
not the cute as a bug type in the Christmas play, 
the the real, majestic beings who are
 worshippers, 
messangers, 
wariors.

This afternoon was spent making one of our Christmas breads
to have for tea this evening. 
I have no name for this bread, but we make it every year. 
I start with a batch of cinnamon roll dough,
rolled out into a big rectangle, just as we would for cinnamon rolls, 
all the while thinking about angels.



Then I spread on a cream cheese mixture down the center of the dough only,
2, 8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla
mixed well.


Then slice the sides of the dough into 1-2 inch strips, and braid it.



Next, I tuck candied cherries and dried apricots into the braid.
It then rises for 30 minutes. 
After Brushing the bread with milk,
it will bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.


Lastly, I drizzle a light powdered sugar glaze over the warm bread, and serve.
MMmmm.  I do enjoy fresh bread!

Our children were rejoicing over the Christmas Bread, too.
 But the real rejoicing should take place in our hearts,
as we follow the angels example to lead a life of worship,
giving glory to God with every fiber of our being.

Life in Christ should be like that,
kind of an unending Hallelujah Chorus. 
(I cry every time I hear that song)
The joy expressed, 
the glory given to God,
the beauty of the melody and harmonies all blend
to make it one of the best songs of all time, in my mind.

Tonight,
 tea, bread, and stories have been thoroughly enjoyed 
and the children are tucked in bed,
a new winter storm warning is in effect,
Brian and I have planned our upcoming week's activities,
my bed is calling to me,
but I am pondering the possibilities
of having a hallelujah chorus kind of week.
Sounds angelic.

1 comment:

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...