Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Home Memories

 "Many a roof covers a home life that is bare of beauty and joy.
Yet all the elements are there
that are needed to make it a true image of heaven in its blessedness and peace.
In the children growing up together there are the possibilities of a very rich life,
with deep joys, fond ties and mutual inspirations. 
There is wanting only the mighty transforming power of affection 
to bring out all these possibilities.  
Surely it is not right that so much blessing should be lost. 
There is not so much happiness in the world
that we can afford to leave our homes desert spots when they might be
blossoming gardens."
J.R. Miller, Homemaking pp 146


Some memories, 
the beautiful ones that bring a smile to the face, 
bring perpetual benediction to the home.
  In our youth, we gather these sweet moments, and hold on to them like a bouquet of lovely flowers,
breathing in the aroma, 
eyes closed. 
Thus we clothe our memories with  the gladness of bright days, 
and carry them with us as we journey life.  
When times become difficult, we may close our eyes and breathe deeply,
hearing the echo of our happy yesterdays.


 We parents are making our children's memories day by day and year by year, 
and who our child will become in the future will depend largely on the home life we are giving them now.
  As mothers, we can make our home a palace, filling it with delightful days, pleasant hours. 
We have opportunity to create such tender memories in our homes, 
so precious, 
so sacred,
that each life that goes out of our door shall carry a blessing with them wherever they trod.


 The influence of the homes memories in the formation of character of our children is sure. 
  A mother who tries to weave one's childhood home to be true and sweet, 
one who finds time to sit with her children and read book upon book, 
or listen when he needs to talk,
or prays with him before he falls asleep, 
all in sweet, loving talk and tender, earnest words and prayer, 
invoking cherished memories,
this is the woman I desire to be.

But the busyness of caring for a large family 
can so easily sweep my driven nature away 
into work,
work, 
work.

 I have been derailed.
I am like Martha, who was decieved, 
thinking that she was loving Jesus best by doing tasks for Him. 
But her sister Mary knew that the best way to love Him was to sit at his feet and 
be with Him.
In the same way, I can think I am loving my family by doing tasks.
When nearby an impish two year old wishes his mama would read him a book...or six,
bringing forth sweet memories.

But God is so good.  
He will not let me go.
He gives a day  to us
to spend leisurely enjoying one another's company
in His beautiful creation, 
and it brings me back to rights.





  What if we had not taken the time to go?
What if my "to do" list keeps me too busy to make beautiful memories?
In 20 years, should the Lord tarry, what will my children recall of our home?
A mother too busy to enjoy life with them -
or a mother who saw it more worthwhile to listen, to pray, to play?
Echoing in my mind, the conviction..
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love.."
I am nothing
I have wasted my time
I have not kept sight of the eternal.

I oft must remind myself of these very things-
To put relationship before tasks, 
to create in our home the richest of memories.
Memories that leave a legacy of love
and a heritage of blessing.


3 comments:

  1. I have learned this lesson, and at times have to be 'reminded.'

    Have a lovely weekend!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have been derailed :-) My heart hears your words. My mind says HOW? What goes so I can spend my days in loving memories for my children? sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this beautiful post.
    Heard about your blog from LaRee :)
    Love these lines:
    "I can think I am loving my family by doing tasks.
    When nearby an impish two year old wishes his mama would read him a book...or six,
    bringing forth sweet memories...He gives a day to us
    to spend leisurely enjoying one another's company
    in His beautiful creation."

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...