Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Necessity of Afternoon Tea



"Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth,
 for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire:  it is the time for home."
- Dame Edith Sitwell


I like this quote, but I think I could replace "winter" with "teatime."


Teatime is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth,
for the touch of a friendly hand and for talk beside the fire;
 it is the time for home.

 Yes, that suits just fine.


My favorite part of the  day comes around 2:30 every afternoon. 
 It is that of tea time at our home. 
 The children most likely have been rambling about the woods, 
and are glad for a warming cup of goodness,
 followed by some sort of treat to keep the famished over until dinner.


This tradition, I unabashedly admit,
 I stole from my dear friend, Enola Gay, 
whose home life has inspired me so much over the years we have been friends. 


 Tea time is more for the soul than the goodies,
 although goodies are always appreciated,
like these light Honey Lemon Tea cakes Jim baked up.

Our family has a few favorite herbal teas and a few black teas in which we savor.
  Sometimes we make a pot, other times we each pick our own bagged variety.
Sometimes we make special lovely treats, and sometimes we just share fresh fruit.

  Either way, afternoon tea set by our fireside,
 especially on days like today,
 when the rain and snow mix is pouring down amid occasional gusts of a cold wind, 
bring together all of my favorite aspects of the season...
the warmth of curling up by the fire, 
the aroma of a good tea  (such as Evening In Missoula or Market Spice),
 the children's chatter about their adventures, 
the sharing of our plans for the evening, 
the coziness of candles lit just for tea time.



..it all speaks to me- warms my heart,
 which in turn, encourages me to soldier on through the second half of the day.




Honey Lemon Tea Cakes

1/3 c. soft butter
1/2 c. honey
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c milk
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Mix well.  Pour into greased muffin cups.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
Top with 2 Tbsp butter and a sprinkling of sugar.
Cool in Frig before serving.

Enjoy with friendly hearts and a fine cup of tea!



Blessings,
Julianne

6 comments:

  1. I just love this! I'm always inspired by your blog. I would love to add some loveliness to our day, what a perfect way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful every bit of it!

    I also see from your sidebar that there is a post from Enola Gay about tea on her blog. Off to check it out!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I enjoyed this post. Tea time is wonderful and I wish I had done this when my children were still at home. The contentment shows in these photos. Thank you.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna, Oh do go visit paratusfamilia!
    Enola is such dear, wise woman...one I find very inspiring. I hope you enjoy! Brian and I are looking forward to the said upcoming tea party..perhaps there will be photos! :-) I hope you try the tea cakes...they could be just one more commonality in our long list of shared delights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To anonymous,
    Thank you! it is an honor to be inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh we love tea time in our house! We have tea on T-days...Tues and Thurs. The rest of the time snack is popcorn. My children still love this tradition! In fact, I just had my soon to be 12 yr old son request a High Tea for his birthday dinner in May!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...