Saturday, June 5, 2010

Simplifying Mama

There is a slow steady rhythm, like a heartbeat.  Gone is the ebb and flow of a harried pace.  There is a quietness.  Margin.  Time to sit and observe the children, to see behind their actions, into the heart.  Stillness to ponder the ways of God.  Priorities have their proper place, God, husband, children, ministry.      
      We have simplified mama.
 We have taken away the idols, projects, urgent but unimportant time stealers, sports programs, community involvement, and in their place reigns Simplicity.
 

 
The Lord has spoken to my heart, teaching me, through a myriad of ways and people that keeping margin in my day is essential. I used to schedule my days absolutely full, thinking I was making the most of life.  As if I were training for an “Industrious Woman of the Year Pageant.”

“Be still, and know that I am God.

 

Where can we find time to be still?  The  whirling culture we live in screams at us to do more, buy more,  and fit more into our lives.  Not surprising to me is the result; a nation that relies on anti-anxiety medication to function.
Does God show himself to be a busy, whirling, frantic figure?
In 1 Kings 19:12 He is a still voice.
In Isaiah 40:11 He gently leads those with young.
In Genesis 2:2   He rests. 
Through out the Scriptures He is patient, and long suffering.
If we are to be like God, why would we think we have to rush, fill our days to a frazzling pace, leaving no space for rest and somehow be serene?  I beat myself up for years for not being able to do it.  And finally, I have understood that all the “good” opportunities this world offers are not so beneficial.   Through God‘s grace, He gently led me to empty my life of the extras, things I used to see as a must.  Rushing, anxiety, irritability, fatigue, and the ever present feeling of not having done enough plague me no longer.  I have eliminated the unnecessary and found a gentle and quiet spirit that I never could muster before.  I am learning to say no to opportunities by gauging whether I can participate in them without sacrificing my peace of mind or my family’s need to be nurtured.

“He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul.”  Psalm 23:2b-3a  
 
 
 Still  basking in the newness of a simple life, I only plan the basics, making sure I keep my priorities in line. Such simple living has blossomed into more peace, serenity, thankfulness, sanity, contentment and beauty than I could have possibly imagined. I am getting so much more out of each day, the children are getting more of me, and a higher quality me. 
I am in awe.
 
 
Each morning there is delight to set about our chores, with grace and freedom to not rush. Gathering at our big table together with lighted candles for our Proverbs study, partaking of a simple lunch. Steady and gentle passes the morning.  Baby is ready to sleep, and I feel the calming rhythm of the rocking chair as he drifts off.
I am reminded.
 
 
 We have simplified our lifestyle to a pace that becalms me.  My Husband benefits from a wife who is not high-maintenance, who has time and energy for him at the end of the day.  Our children have settled.  Their contented spirits fly through the day with happiness, abundant expressions of love, less bickering and fighting, more creative play and improved attitudes.  Truly, this is the more excellent way.  Herein is a case where a lifestyle of less is so much more. 
We have simplified mama, and all are better for it.

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Is it ok if I post a link to this post on my blog? It really spoke to me.
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...